Not likely to see second coming soon?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Not likely to see second coming soon?

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:49 am

You mentioned the other day that we might be close to the "end of days"...As a historian, I'm not convinced we're facing anything... special. The "signs" of culture are cyclical, and I have no real compelling reason to think I will see the second coming of Christ in my own lifetime. I just don't think we're that special. In fact, a real education in history would sober quite a few End Times enthusiasts, I think, and make them take a second look at their suppositions.

Re: Not likely to see second coming soon?

Postby admin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:51 am

Guest wrote:You mentioned the other day that we might be close to the "end of days"...As a historian, I'm not convinced we're facing anything... special. The "signs" of culture are cyclical, and I have no real compelling reason to think I will see the second coming of Christ in my own lifetime. I just don't think we're that special. In fact, a real education in history would sober quite a few End Times enthusiasts, I think, and make them take a second look at their suppositions.

Of course the subject of Biblical eschatology is complex and I can't get into it all right now.... Most Orthodox Jews are sure Moshiach will be coming soon, based on their study of Torah and the prophets, particularly the prophets Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Daniel's vision of the rise and fall of world historical powers... (e.g., the rise of Rome (Edom) and the exportation of Roman law and thinking to the new world). The signs Yeshua spoke of in Matt. 24 are all active as "birthpangs of his return," just as the context of his return requires that Israel be established as a nation on the world stage, surrounded by enemies that vow to destroy her, etc. Israel was "reborn" in 1948 and Jerusalem came under Jewish control in 1967 -- both events are miraculous and unique to our age... Moreover, the description of the spiritual depravity of humanity is also consonant with this time period (2 Tim. 3:1-4; 4:3-4). The love of people has run cold and anomie is the characteristic of our postmodern age; abortions constitute a worldwide holocaust; the rich now control 99% of the wealth and worldly power and are consolidating further and further; the global economy is now interdependent and linked; the "mark of the beast" technology has been available for decades now, the worldwide powers are seeking to create a unified world government that will constitute a total control grid; the cosmopolitan dogma of "political correctness" and "green humanism" is all the rage; and so on. Moreover, the prophesied world-wide apostasy of Christians is evident, with ecumenicism being the leading dogma of many mainstream denominations...

There are many signs if you seek them, though perhaps the Second Coming might be awhile off, for the LORD is merciful...
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...