Creation of the sun AFTER the plants???

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Creation of the sun AFTER the plants???

Postby walt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:29 am

I am Lutheran and have been reading your posts for a while now. As you wrote, the Sun and stars were created later (Gen 1.14) I noticed a few years ago this verse. -- Gen 1.11, Then God said, " Let the Earth bring forth vegetation : plants: plants yielding seed and fruit tress of every kind....... " I bought a used Half- Torah at a book sale, to read what it said. My question is - How does your faith understand this- that the vegetation was created before the Sun and stars ? Vegetation requires light to grow. I am a life long Lutheran and am retired now. Maybe there is no answer.
walt

Re: Creation of the sun AFTER the plants???

Postby admin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:30 am

walt wrote:I am Lutheran and have been reading your posts for a while now. As you wrote, the Sun and stars were created later (Gen 1.14) I noticed a few years ago this verse. -- Gen 1.11, Then God said, " Let the Earth bring forth vegetation : plants: plants yielding seed and fruit tress of every kind....... " I bought a used Half- Torah at a book sale, to read what it said. My question is - How does your faith understand this- that the vegetation was created before the Sun and stars ? Vegetation requires light to grow. I am a life long Lutheran and am retired now. Maybe there is no answer.

Shalom Walt... Some of the sages have said that the original light functioned for the first three days, but on the fourth day God “separated” it to create the sun and stars…. This is alluded to by the language used in the passage: “And God said, “Let there be lights” (יְהִי מְארת) in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so” (Gen. 1:14-15). The phrase yehi morot (יְהִי מְארת) literally reads “let it be lights,” where “it” refers to the original light of creation mentioned in Gen. 1:3-5. Hope that helps...

- john
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...