Marijuana and the Bible

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Marijuana and the Bible

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:45 am

I have a nephew who justifies his marijuana use (medical-according to him) with a plant was used in making the anointing oil in Exodus 30:23. According to him the research was done in the original Hebrew bible (?), which state calamus was used in the making of the holy anointing oil. The only reason I am addressing this matter is that his young niece is listening to his justification. She will listen if I have information to show. I researched, but come up with several words used. Therefore, I am not sure where to go from there to confirm or deny his information. Can you help?

Re: Marijuana and the Bible

Postby admin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 am

Guest wrote:I have a nephew who justifies his marijuana use (medical-according to him) with a plant was used in making the anointing oil in Exodus 30:23. According to him the research was done in the original Hebrew bible (?), which state calamus was used in the making of the holy anointing oil. The only reason I am addressing this matter is that his young niece is listening to his justification. She will listen if I have information to show. I researched, but come up with several words used. Therefore, I am not sure where to go from there to confirm or deny his information. Can you help?

Shalom.... First note that the word claimed to be "calamus" in Exodus 30:23 is actually kineh-vosam (קְנֵה־בשֶׂם), a "stalk of balsam," and its exact meaning is uncertain... What is relevant here, however, is our duty to "rightly divide" (i.e., ὀρθοτομέω - "cut straight," interpret honestly) the Scriptures (2 Tim 2:15), and by that I mean using humility, logic, grammar, historical context, appropriate cross-references, and so on, to reverently discern whether recreational drug use is permitted or endorsed in Scripture... When we consider the overall themes of the Bible, however, we find many references to the need for sobriety, vigilance, and wisdom as we sojourn this life. "Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise" (Prov. 20:1). "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery (asotia, lit. "un-salvation"), but be filled with the Spirit" (Eph. 5:18). "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour" (1 Pet. 5:8). Moreover we should note well the judgment of fire that befell the sons of Aaron for their intoxication in the Holy Place (Lev 10:1,9), and furthermore we should carefully consider how the New Testament condemns "sorcery" (pharmakeia), or the use of mind-altering drugs: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and sorcery (pharmakeia); hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God" (Gal 5:19-21). The last days, in particular, will be marked by people under the influence of drugs: "Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts" (Rev. 21:8).

People will justify whatever they want to believe it. The answer here is prayer - and asking God to directly intervene to reveal the truth... Peace, love, and -- patience -- to you.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...