How old was Jacob when Abraham died?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

How old was Jacob when Abraham died?

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:00 am

I am confused about a verse in the Book of Hebrews: "By faith he [Abraham] went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise" (11:9). Does this mean that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob all lived together? Thanks

Re: How old was Jacob when Abraham died?

Postby admin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:05 am

Guest wrote:I am confused about a verse in the Book of Hebrews: "By faith he [Abraham] went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise" (11:9). Does this mean that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob all lived together? Thanks

Greetings. We know that Abraham was 100 yrs old when Isaac born (Gen. 21:5); and that his son Isaac was 40 when he married Abraham's grandneice Rebekah (Gen. 25:40). Isaac and Rebekah were childless for 20 years until the twins (Esau and Jacob) were born, making Isaac 60 years old (Gen. 25:26), and therefore Abraham was 160 old at the time... Since Abraham died at the ripe old age of 175 (Gen. 25:7), it is clear that he was alive when the twins were born, and indeed, he undoubtedly watched them grow up into young men.... As for the three families living together, I am unsure, though it's likely they lived in proximity of one another. Shalom.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...