Why do you quote Henri Nouwen?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Why do you quote Henri Nouwen?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Please, I was wondering if you would take a moment to explain why you quoted Henri Nouwen in your article "Courage in Sickness" on your website. I have a quote from one of Henri Nouwen's books that I am really struggling with. It clearly explains his beliefs: "Today I personally believe that while Jesus came to open the door to God’s house, all human beings can walk through that door, whether they know about Jesus or not. Today I see it as my call to help every person claim his or her own way to God." Of course this is in direct contrast to the Words of Jesus that no one comes to the Father except through the Son.

Thanks for your time...

Re: Why do you quote Henri Nouwen?

Postby admin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Henri Nouwen wrote:Today I personally believe that while Jesus came to open the door to God’s house, all human beings can walk through that door, whether they know about Jesus or not. Today I see it as my call to help every person claim his or her own way to God

I have not read the Nouwen quote you provided, though you are correct that it sounds like he might have embraced the doctrine "universal salvation..." Some people think that Jesus is indeed the only way to God (which of course is the truth, as you quoted Jesus' words in John 14:6), and yet they hold out hope that people from other cultures who die without hearing the gospel message will still be saved by trusting in the idea of God's redemptive love, etc. (which is not stated in the Scriptures). In fairness to the quote you provided, however, ( "I see it as my call to help every person claim his or her own way to God"), Nouwen might have been thinking that his role is to help people come to know their own way to come to God through Jesus, not that their way is sufficient apart from Jesus.... We try to use the good eye and think the best possible interpretation for others... Anyway, I read Nouwen for purposes of edification and growth. Often he has some wonderful insights, especially about being honest with his struggles; but I do not read him for his theological or ecclesiastical perspectives... Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...