Are Christians really Jews?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Are Christians really Jews?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 am

I always wondered if I was a Christian, then did that mean that I was Jewish too? Because Jesus is Jewish. I'm positively Gentile in truth (no family history of Judaism that I'm aware of). But I FEEL that connection even though I've never studied. Does that make sense? thanks

Re: Are Christians really Jews?

Postby admin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 am

Guest wrote:I always wondered if I was a Christian, then did that mean that I was Jewish too? Because Jesus is Jewish. I'm positively Gentile in truth (no family history of Judaism that I'm aware of). But I FEEL that connection even though I've never studied. Does that make sense? thanks

Shalom... In the Scriptures we read, "In Him [Yeshua] you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands..." (Col. 2:11). This refers to a "spiritual circumcision" (i.e., "made without hands") that marks your identity as God's covenant child, which signifies the "putting off of the flesh" by means of your union with the death of Messiah upon the cross... This is a matter of faith, or trust, since "Brit Milah" (circumcision) literally means "covenant of the word," and therefore speaks of Yeshua, the Word and Promise of God.

God is said to be no "respecter of persons" (Acts 10:34, Rom. 2:11). He is able to make the unclean clean (Acts 10:28) and to regard those who were once called "Not My People" as "My People" (Hosea 2:23, Matt. 3:9). Indeed, "once you were not a people, but now you are God's people" (1 Pet. 2:9-10).

Physical circumcision was always meant to be symbolic, since we are to circumcise our hearts... The Apostle Paul wrote that a "true Jew" is one who is circumcised inwardly, someone who has undergone a spiritual heart change (Deut 10:16, 30:6; Rom. 2:28-29, 1 Cor. 7:19, Gal. 5:6; 6:15; Phil. 3:3, Col. 2:11, etc.). Indeed, Paul insisted that any merit obtained either through his pedigree or his adherence to the moral law code is accounted as less than nothing in comparison to the imputed righteousness given by means of his relationship with Yeshua (Phil. 3:3-8).

The question of your identity, the "real you," is bound up in Yeshua, not in human pedigree, regardless of how noble that pedigree might be... You are blood-related to God Himself through Yeshua. I hope that helps.

-John
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...