Firstfruits and Shavuot?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Firstfruits and Shavuot?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Hello, I'm an Italian student of Classical Philology and I'm now studying Jewish questions in order to write my thesis; I'm Christian, so I didn't know so much about Hebrew. I've read your articles about Jewish Holidays, especially that one about Reshit Katzir, where I can read that it is sometimes confusingly called the Feast of Firstfruits.

I don't understand the link with the Shavu'ot: I thought "Feast of Firstfruits" was an alternative name for Shavu'ot (in which Hebrew rejoyce for the new harvest and can finally eat of the new products, after they made the ritual offering). So, what is really "Firstfruits"?

The connection with Jesus Christ is really important, I will study it later.

Thank you for your availability.

Best regards!

Re: Firstfruits and Shavuot?

Postby admin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:59 pm

There are two "first fruits offerings" - the early one after Passover (the "first of the firstfruits") that corresponds to Yeshua's resurrection from the dead, what I call "reishit katzir," and the later one, at Shavuot, after the omer has been counted 49 days (i.e., seven weeks), that corresponds to first wheat harvest and the waving of the loaves before the altar.... This "second first fruits" symbolically represents the advent of the ruach ha-Kodesh (Holy Spirit) in "harvesting the hearts" of the "one new man," that is, those who would follow Yeshua from every tribe and tongue.

For more on this, see the Shavuot pages on bikkurim. Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...