Can a Gentile be a Messianic Jew?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Can a Gentile be a Messianic Jew?

Postby Guest » Tue May 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Shalom. Although I consider myself a Messianic Jew, the Rabbi and congregation, which consists primarily of native Messianic Jews appear to take issue with "former Gentiles" calling themselves Messianic Jews. Also, there appears to always be an emphasis or statement at each service on "to the Jew first" and we, who are born again and observant of all Messianic beliefs and customs, are always referred to as "Gentile believers." I am no longer a Gentile which means heathen, nor am I of the world, but I have been grafted in as a Jew. I write this to say that I appreciate your saying "the remnant of those who were FORMERLY Gentiles." I believe that calling those who are not native Jews, "Gentile believers" does not facilitate the "one new man" that Yeshua strongly wanted us to become.

Re: Can a Gentile be a Messianic Jew?

Postby admin » Tue May 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Guest wrote:...the Rabbi and congregation, which consists primarily of native Messianic Jews appear to take issue with "former Gentiles" calling themselves Messianic Jews. we... are always referred to as "Gentile believers." ... <snip>

Shalom.... You are correct to focus on the "one new man" idea (Eph. 2:14-21), since that is clearly the overall goal of the God's great plan of universal redemption. Moreover, I would never be part of a group of people who believe in a "class system" among believers in Yeshua, unless it is based on the principle that the greatest of them should live as the lowest servant of all. Pride based on human flesh, DNA, office, etc., is absurd once you understand the meaning of the Torah and the central message to "love the stranger." After all, Yeshua Himself came from a line of "Gentile" women including Tamar, Rahab, Ruth... Those Jews in your congregation might think they are doing the Jewish community a favor by making themselves *appear* to be culturally Jewish, etc., but they are really doing a disservice to God Almighty, and it may even be they are not yet fully converted believers in the Messiah and His mission to redeem the entire world. Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...