New Testament Torah Readings?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

New Testament Torah Readings?

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:05 am

I know the history of the Torah portion and also how the Haftarah developed, but how and when and by whom did the New Testament portion come? I have wondered about that for some time. If you can get me some info on that or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate that. Thank you.

Re: New Testament Torah Readings?

Postby admin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:07 am

Guest wrote:I know the history of the Torah portion and also how the Haftarah developed, but how and when and by whom did the New Testament portion come? I have wondered about that for some time. If you can get me some info on that or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate that. Thank you.

The New Testament selections chosen to correspond with the weekly Torah portions were apparently chosen by Dr. David Stern (author of the "Jewish New Testament" version). It is not an authoritative reading schedule, only a suggested one.... Other people divide the Gospels/Acts up into 54 sequential readings in a manner similar to the Torah portions, though this is by no means universally recognized (and this approach has the fault of overlooking Paul's epistles and other material crucial to the meaning of the new covenant).

I hope that helps.... Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...