Old vs. New Testaments

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Old vs. New Testaments

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:32 pm

I happened upon your website by accident, as one does... :-)

I should like to comment upon one quite important thing that caught my eye, especially bearing in mind what appears to be your aim. From a Jewish perspective there is no 'Old' Testament as there is no 'new' one. Is there not a better, value-neutral way of expressing this?

Re: Old vs. New Testaments

Postby admin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Guest wrote:From a Jewish perspective there is no 'Old' Testament as there is no 'new' one. Is there not a better, value-neutral way of expressing this?

Well, there is nothing inherently offensive about the term "old testament," and many Jews in fact use this term to refer to the Jewish Bible. Moreover, the Apostle Paul clearly speaks of "brit chadasha" (New Testament or Covenant) as opposed to "brit yashana: (Old Covenant) - see 2 Cor. 3:6,14). I don't see why we should attempt to conceal such distinctions, especially in light of the Messiah's doctrine that he alone is the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one can approach the Heavenly Father apart from him (John 14:6).

Finally, let me say that I think "Jewish Scriptures" is a good term for both old and new covenant "books." After all, the New Testament is every bit as Jewish as is the Torah, so it is fitting to regard it as Jewish literature, just as the Torah is so regarded.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...