new moon festivals?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

new moon festivals?

Postby Guest » Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm

What festival was it that the day and hour was deterimed by two men seeing the moon or any part of the moon, weren’t some of the feast’s not always on the same day each year, I thought tabernacles was the one I’m talking about but can’t find the scripture. Thank’s, hope to hear from you.

Re: new moon festivals?

Postby admin » Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Guest wrote:What festival was it that the day and hour was deterimed by two men seeing the moon or any part of the moon, weren’t some of the feast’s not always on the same day each year, I thought tabernacles was the one I’m talking about but can’t find the scripture. Thank’s, hope to hear from you.

In the days before the fixed Jewish calendar, the new moon (Rosh Chodesh) was used as the "time keeper" for the upcoming month. The new moon had to be sighted by two independent witnesses who would then testify in a bet din (religious court in Jerusalem) that they had observed the crescent beginning to wax. After this, the "molad" was announced and messengers were dispatched to other places announce the start of the month. This was intended to "calibrate" the calendar for the purpose of observing the holidays. Since some of the messengers had to travel some distance to make the announcement, Rosh Chodesh was recognized for two days... The sighting of the new moon, in other words, affected all of the holidays - not just Sukkot, etc. Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...