What is chametz for Passover?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

What is chametz for Passover?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Hey :) Hope you're having a lovely Pesach. This is the first year that I am celebrating Passover, and I've been trying to figure out what I can and can't eat. Looking at the oatmeal we have, there is no leavening agent listed in the ingredients, only the three dry grains. I was looking around on Q/A sites about whether oatmeal is good for Passover, but I could not find anything that came from a biblical point of view. There were lots of stuff about the talmud and people saying "all grains are Chametz!" Chametz chametz chametz... I can't find any reason that eating oats boiled in water and milk (not buttermilk) would be breaking the mitzvah, but I might be missing something...? your thoughts? thank you and have a lovely Sabbath rest in Yeshua.

Re: What is chametz for Passover?

Postby admin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Guest wrote:Hey :) Hope you're having a lovely Pesach. This is the first year that I am celebrating Passover, and I've been trying to figure out what I can and can't eat. Looking at the oatmeal we have, there is no leavening agent listed in the ingredients, only the three dry grains. I was looking around on Q/A sites about whether oatmeal is good for Passover, but I could not find anything that came from a biblical point of view. There were lots of stuff about the talmud and people saying "all grains are Chametz!" Chametz chametz chametz... I can't find any reason that eating oats boiled in water and milk (not buttermilk) would be breaking the mitzvah, but I might be missing something...? your thoughts? thank you and have a lovely Sabbath rest in Yeshua.

Shalom...

We keep away from obvious examples of chametz - breads, pasta, and so on. We don't worry about the possibility of chametz in oatmeal (unless it includes yeast as an ingredient) or other items such as rice, beans, and so on. Chametz is chametz - not something else.... The idea of a "fence around the Torah" (gezeirah) is a Rabbinical fiction, not a Torah commandment. Spiritually speaking, chametz represents those "ingredients" in your life that lead to pride, conformity to the world, lust, etc. That's what really needs to be purged out of our lives....
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...