hebrew israelite and Judaism

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

hebrew israelite and Judaism

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

I need to know the difference between a hebrew israelite and Judaism. I don't want to offend anyone or step on anyones toes, so to speak, when I speak on this subject. Also, what is the real meaning of the Star of David. I can tell the difference when I read the bible, especially in the New Testament. I just need help with this day and time difference between culture and beliefs.

Re: hebrew israelite and Judaism

Postby admin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Guest wrote:I need to know the difference between a hebrew israelite and Judaism. I don't want to offend anyone or step on anyones toes, so to speak, when I speak on this subject. Also, what is the real meaning of the Star of David. I can tell the difference when I read the bible, especially in the New Testament. I just need help with this day and time difference between culture and beliefs.

That's an involved topic. Judaism was a "reinvention" of the faith of the Israelites (or more properly, of the Judahites) after the destruction of the Second Temple (i.e., after the death and resurrection of the Messiah)... In simplified terms, "Judaism" was formalized in the Mishnah (and later Gemarah), which later represented the codification of Jewish thinking known as the Talmud.

As for the Star of David (magen David), it's existence as a symbol goes back at least to the First Century AD, since there is archaeological evidence of the symbol used as a decorative inscription dating from that time. Some have suggested that it derived as the result of two interlocking triangles used as a pattern of support points for ancient shield designs... In Kabbalah, the six points of the star are said to symbolize God's rule over the universe in all six directions: north, south, east, west, up and down.

Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...