Yeshua or YAHshua?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Yeshua or YAHshua?

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 am

Isn't the first syllable of the name Yeshua a direct reference to God and if it is, shouldn't the emphasis be on that first syllable. Why isn't this name transliterated with (Ya) instead of (Ye)? Maybe the question is: In English, why do we pronounce Yahweh with an "a" sound and Yeshua with an "e" sound. I hope my question makes sense.

Re: Yeshua or YAHshua?

Postby admin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 am

Guest wrote:Isn't the first syllable of the name Yeshua a direct reference to God and if it is, shouldn't the emphasis be on that first syllable. Why isn't this name transliterated with (Ya) instead of (Ye)? Maybe the question is: In English, why do we pronounce Yahweh with an "a" sound and Yeshua with an "e" sound. I hope my question makes sense.

His name was a common one. According to the late Dr. David Flusser, Professor of Early Christianity and Judaism of the Second Temple Period at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, "Yeshua" was the 3rd most popular male name during the Second Temple period. I think that is surely appropriate, since He came in disguise - without announcing his greatness - not unlike King Solomon who wooed the Shulamite woman... Ultimately he was born to die as a criminal on the cross, not to sit in velveted chairs before the religious world. The Name of God you mention, YAH, is valid, though it refers to YHVH and it is understood in light of God's redemptive power and saving acts. Yeshua (short for Yehoshua) means "YHVH saves." The name Yehoshua - like the name Judah before him - explicitly used YHVH as an embedded morpheme. In this connection I might add that it was Yehoshua who was chosen by God to take Israel into the realm of promise, not Moses.

Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...