The Shema and the Trinity?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

The Shema and the Trinity?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 am

In your article on the "Trinity" (Multiplicity in Oneness...), you mention that the Shema's "Adonai Eloheinu..." translates as the "Lord our Gods". I'm not an expert on Jewish grammar, but it seems to me that this is a bold, even a problematic assertion. I have to confess not quite understanding how do you arrive at the plural from...

The word Eloheinu meant always to me simply "our God" - i.e. Eloh (God) + the suffix nu (the plural possessive determiner our). I did an extensive research, but was unable to find outside evidence or support for your use of the plural form.

Would you be able to briefly explain what is the reason for using the plural (perhaps a quote of an authority or a source?).

Re: The Shema and the Trinity?

Postby admin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:25 am

Guest wrote:In your article on the "Trinity" (Multiplicity in Oneness...), you mention that the Shema's "Adonai Eloheinu..." translates as the "Lord our Gods". I'm not an expert on Jewish grammar, but it seems to me that this is a bold, even a problematic assertion. I have to confess not quite understanding how do you arrive at the plural from...

The word Eloheinu meant always to me simply "our God" - i.e. Eloh (God) + the suffix nu (the plural possessive determiner our). I did an extensive research, but was unable to find outside evidence or support for your use of the plural form.

Would you be able to briefly explain what is the reason for using the plural (perhaps a quote of an authority or a source?).

Eloheinu (אֱלהֵינוּ) is the masculine plural construct form of the word Elohim (אֱלהִים), which is the plural form of El (אֵל) or Eloah (אֱלוֹהַּ).... Some have said Elohim is the "plural of majesty," though my point is simply that the grammar allows for multiplicity within unity, i.e., the triune nature of the Godhead. Sorry if my explanation is unclear, perhaps I need to do a rewrite of that page soon!

At any rate, you can read some more about the triune nature of God revealed in the Scriptures here:

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_ ... inity.html

:hullo:
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...