Jots and Tittles? - Monte Judah

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Jots and Tittles? - Monte Judah

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:41 pm

I checked your web site for jot & tittle info and could not find any. Check the link below, it's a 14 page study on jot & tittles.

http://lionlamb.net/v3/YAVOHHeisComing/2004/07

Shalom

Re: Jots and Tittles?

Postby admin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Guest wrote:I checked your web site for jot & tittle info and could not find any. Check the link below, it's a 14 page study on jot & tittles.

http://lionlamb.net/v3/YAVOHHeisComing/2004/07

Shalom

Shalom. I mention the study of taggin ("crowns") in various places on the Hebrew4Christians site, including in the grammar section. However, it needs to be said that the soferut tradition (and the later Masorah) came long AFTER the time of Yeshua, so it's unlikely He had these sort of distinctions in mind when He spoke of "kotzo shel Yod" (i.e., the smallest stroke of the smallest letter). Monte Judah makes some pretty strong claims in the page you sent me, such as "Jots and tittles are signs given by Moses in the text of the Torah that are not translated, but every scribe copies them precisely in every Torah scroll." Strictly speaking this is a FALSE statement, since it is likely Moses wrote using Ketav Ivri, not the Ashurit script, plus the tradition of ornamentalizing the texts, making margin notes, etc., came from the scribes of the Masora in the 7th-10th centuries AD. Monte also says, "Even worse, Christian teachers are not aware of their existence or their purpose." This statement is also untrue. Most Christian scholars did not follow the Masoretic traditions for a good reason. They were not oblivious to the subtleties of the Hebrew texts, but they often worked from the Greek LXX (which dates from the 2nd century BC) which relies on an older Hebrew text family. It is often interesting to compare the LXX and the Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) than the LXX and the Masoretic text.

I would be careful with the teachings of Monte Judah. Use discernment and ask the Holy Spirit of truth to guard your thinking.

- John
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...