questions concerning Hebrew4Christians

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

questions concerning Hebrew4Christians

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:08 am

To whom it may concern:

i just finished reading your note concerning the Hebrew and Greek text in regards to the Lords prayer ( i have also been using the Hebrew for Christians website along with a few other helps to learn the Hebrew language) and i have a few Questions.
Firstly i suppose i should give some context, i am a graduate of a conservative bible school; i studied hard and learnt as much as i could--over the past few years i have found myself in vocational ministry and have used that opportunity to deepen my understanding of the New Testament. In the employment of the hermeneutical technical i was taught, a technical commonly accepted, i am left with way more questions and very few answers. i was taught the Bible was written in Greek and studied the language and common Greek thought for the time period. The more i read the new testament, the more hebrew and less greek i see. In any case here are my questions: is there a legitimacy to the claim that the majority of what we know as the New Testament was originally written in Hebrew and perhaps selections in Aramaic? if so why are these questions no being addressed in our Christian post secondary institutions? secondly, i have loved my covenant theology, but never felt any anti semitism therein, that being said i do see the holes presented within the covenant systems of thought. so i guess the question is, if you are right and the "church" is a part of the Remnant what ought the church to do? in a sense i am relieved that your not an advocate for the Messianic view, but obviously the church is seriously missing the mark. what should the church do? and is there any room for an "evangelical" pastor in it? i have to say i am not receiving my pay cheque with a clean conscience these days.

thank you for posting your thoughts

Re: questions concerning Hebrew4Christians

Postby admin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:13 am

Guest wrote:...is there a legitimacy to the claim that the majority of what we know as the New Testament was originally written in Hebrew and perhaps selections in Aramaic? if so why are these questions no being addressed in our Christian post secondary institutions? secondly, i have loved my covenant theology, but never felt any anti semitism therein, that being said i do see the holes presented within the covenant systems of thought. so i guess the question is, if you are right and the "church" is a part of the Remnant what ought the church to do? in a sense i am relieved that your not an advocate for the Messianic view, but obviously the church is seriously missing the mark. what should the church do? ...

Shalom,

For reasons known only to God, the best attested and surely the most reliable extant manuscripts of the New Testament are all in Koine Greek, not second-Temple Hebrew and certainly not in Aramaic. The Aramaic Peshitta is a much later work, with the OT done around the 2nd century AD and the NT done around the 5th. In fact, almost all Syriac scholars agree that the Peshitta gospels are translations of the Koine Greek originals. There are extant MSS of the Greek NT, by contrast, that date to the 1st century, virtually contemporaneous with the events described.... Instead of focusing on Aramaic or a Hebrew "Q" gospel that underlies the others, a more fruitful line of study is to compare the LXX (Septuagint) with the Greek NT, alongside the Dead Sea Scrolls and other early rabbinical literature. It must be stressed that there was a strong Hellenistic tendency among the Jews during the later Second Temple period, and I don't think that was an accident of history either.

The problem I have with Covenant Theology is not so much with its grand doctrines of God or predestination, but rather with its faulty way of reading the Torah/Nakh using a New Testament priority. We must be careful to read the Scriptures in context to "rightly divide" them and ascertain the original intent of the authors.

The church is still a "called out" body of believers who follow Yeshua, and I think one worthy task of pastors and professional clergy is to educate Christians as to what it means to be "partakers of the covenantal blessings" given to ethnic Israel. This is not Judaizing as much as it is contextualizing and explicating the truth more fully. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. Follow the truth. Jesus was, is, and ever shall be the "King of the Jews."

Shalom and thanks for writing.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...