correct pronounciation

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

correct pronounciation

Postby danmdina67@sbcglobal.net » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:24 pm

SHALOM, WHAT IS THE CORRECT PRONOUNCIATION OF THE NAME OF JESUS,YESHUA OR YEHOSHUA IN HEBREW?THANKS
danmdina67@sbcglobal.net

Re: correct pronounciation

Postby admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:48 am

danmedina67@sbcglobal.net wrote:SHALOM, WHAT IS THE CORRECT PRONOUNCIATION OF THE NAME OF JESUS,YESHUA OR YEHOSHUA IN HEBREW?THANKS

The name Yeshua (יֵשׁוּעַ) comes from Joshua's Hebrew name, Yehoshua (יְהוֹשֻׁעַ), which sometimes appears in its shortened form, Yeshua (e.g., see Neh. 8:17). It is likely that Jesus went by the name Yeshua, since it was a common Aramaicized version of Joshua at the time.

I know I am going beyond your question, but I think I should mention something about the so-called "Sacred Name" movement that claims that the "true name" of the Messiah is "YAHushua" or "YAHoshua" (or some variant thereof). Often these adherents think that the sacred Name (YHVH) is best rendered as YAH-WEH, and suppose that since Jesus said He came in His Father's Name (John 5:43), YAH must somehow appear in the spelling of this name. Hence we have YAHshua, or YAHoshua, or some other spelling. This interpolation of the phoneme YAH comes at the expense of the original Masoretic text and standard Hebrew usage. Some in this movement go so far as to believe that you can only be saved if you pronounce the Sacred Name correctly! As a friend of mine pointed out, this teaching is inherently anti-semitic, since in order for this to be true, the "rabbis" must have corrupted the text and deceived the people. Moreover, the Greek New Testament text has been corrupted as well, since it does not directly contain the Sacred Name.

Check various linguistic sources -- especially those in Israel -- and you will discover that YAHshua (or some other variant) was not a name used during the Second Temple period, nor has it EVER been regarded as a Hebrew name.

Shalom - jjp
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...