Bible versions

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Bible versions

Postby Emek Ben Mayim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm

John, You stated in one of your posts to avoid "New Age" translations. What would these be? Also, what would you recommend as being a good interlinear greek New Testament?
Emek Ben Mayim

Re: Bible versions

Postby admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:54 am

Emek Ben Mayim wrote:John, You stated in one of your posts to avoid "New Age" translations. What would these be? Also, what would you recommend as being a good interlinear greek New Testament?

Shalom Emek. I don't recall using that language, but then again, I might have... Perhaps it would have been better had I used the word "Postmodern" instead of "New Age." The issue has to do with the "dynamic equivalence" versus the more "literal" rendering of the English text, and the trend of newer English translations is to import concepts that are alien to the author's original intent.... At any rate, there are a number of good interlinear Greek New Testaments available, and since you are going to cross-check the English with the underlying Greek text, the English version is not as important as the book's ease of use, it's typesetting, and so on. The use of "Strong Numbers" has limited value. It's better to learn to read the Greek text -- even haltingly -- and then check linguistic commentaries of the NT to get a better idea of word meanings, grammatical structure, context, and so on.

Shalom - jjp
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...