The Divine Order of Hebrew Alphabet?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

The Divine Order of Hebrew Alphabet?

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Hello, I have a quick question. You mention a "divine order" to the Hebrew alphabet. But why does it matter in what order I write the Hebrew letters, particularly the biblical ones?

Re: The Divine Order of Hebrew Alphabet?

Postby admin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Guest wrote:Hello, I have a quick question. You mention a "divine order" to the Hebrew alphabet. But why does it matter in what order I write the Hebrew letters, particularly the biblical ones?

Psalm 119 and other "acrostics" in Scripture reveal the divine order of the Hebrew alphabet.

For example, acrostic order occurs in Psalm 111 and Psalm 112 (each letter begins a line); Psalm 25, Psalm 34, and Psalm 145 (each letter begins a half-verse); Psalm 37, Proverbs 31:10-31, and Lamentations 1, 2, and 4 (each letter begins a whole verse). Each section of Psalm 119 includes eight verses where the same opening letter is used, and the twenty-two sections move through the Hebrew alphabet in the reciting order (Aleph, Bet,... Tav).

Now as for learning the letters, I would recommend doing that in the way that works best for you. If the ordering helps, use it! If not, just be sure you can recognize all 22 letters (plus the 5 final forms of Kaf, Mem, Nun, Pey, and Tzade). Shalom
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...