Are followers of Yeshua "spiritual Jews"?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Are followers of Yeshua "spiritual Jews"?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Shabbat Shalom from Bulgaria !

I love your site which has given me very mucn information about the traditions, rules and culture of Jewish people, which i love and im thankful from all my heart to Yeshua who has related me, the grafted branch, into the Olive Tree - Israel.

I have a very specific and difficult question to answer. Paul says in the The Brit Chadasha to the letter of Romans:

" For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh.
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. " Romans 2:28-29

So can i say to the people that i am a Jew in spirit, Yehudi be'ruach ?

thank you

Re: Are followers of Yeshua "spiritual Jews"?

Postby admin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:20 pm

The word Jew comes from Judah (יְהוּדָה), from the root (יָדָה) which means to "thank." From Judah was derived the later term "Jew" (which first appears after the destruction of the First Temple, 2 Kings 25:25, and was later used in the Aramaic books of Ezra/Nehemiah). Leah used a play on words regarding her birth of her fourth son (Gen. 29:35) when she said she would thank the LORD (אוֹדֶה אֶת־יהוה) and therefore named her son "Judah" (יְהוּדָה). I think Paul alluded to this in Rom. 2:28-29 by saying that an "inward" Jew is "one who praises (or thanks) God," and therefore it may be said that all those who thank the LORD in the truth are spiritual Jews. If you are "blood-related" to God by the Messiah, you are "grafted in" to the covenants, promises, and blessings given to ethnic Israel and are therefore a member of "God's household."

"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints (tzaddikim) and members of the household of God (i.e., b'nei Elohim)." [Eph. 2:19] Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Mashiach through the gospel (Eph. 3:6). The blessing of Abraham is imparted to the Gentiles in Yeshua (Gal. 3:14).

Shalom to you!
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...