Is using/hanging crucifix in house idolatry?

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Is using/hanging crucifix in house idolatry?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:23 am

In your comment to the (such blatant) topic "Christianity is Idolatry", you stated it is idolatry to worship an icon like crucifixes...
Is it correct what I get in my mind? What about using/hanging crucifix (or maybe, Magen David, Ichus fish, etc.) in house or in necklace? What's your opinion? Shalom to you and your family...

Re: Is using/hanging crucifix in house idolatry?

Postby admin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Guest wrote:In your comment to the (such blatant) topic "Christianity is Idolatry", you stated it is idolatry to worship an icon like crucifixes...
Is it correct what I get in my mind? What about using/hanging crucifix (or maybe, Magen David, Ichus fish, etc.) in house or in necklace? What's your opinion? Shalom to you and your family...

Shalom. I am not sure what topic you are referring to, but the Torah clearly prohibits the use of "graven images" or icons of any sort for use in the worship of the one True God. "You shall not make for yourself a carved image (פֶסֶל), or any likeness (תְּמוּנָה) of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" (Exod. 20:4; Deut. 5:8) "'Cursed be the man who makes a carved or cast metal image, an abomination (תּוֹעֵבָה) to the LORD, a thing made by the hands of a craftsman, and sets it up in secret" (Deut 27:15). In the NT we are likewise told: "flee from idolatry" (1 Cor. 10:14), and Paul identifies the power behind idolatry to be Satan and the appeal to sensual desire (1 Cor. 10:20; Col. 3:5).

As for religious symbols, such as a cross, magen david, etc., that are not literally "worshiped," these are in a sense "neutral." Often such emblems help us remember our values and encourage us to walk in truth. Ultimately, this is a question for each individual to ask the LORD (Rom. 14:5). He promises us wisdom if we truly seek it with all our hearts. Shalom.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...