Buying a mezuzah as a gift

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Buying a mezuzah as a gift

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:46 am

I am trying to find a mezuzah with the Shema scroll rolled up inside - to give to someone as a gift. Do you know where I might find one and what the price is?

Thank you.

Re: Buying a mezuzah as a gift

Postby admin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:47 am

Guest wrote:I am trying to find a mezuzah with the Shema scroll rolled up inside - to give to someone as a gift. Do you know where I might find one and what the price is?

Thank you.

Shalom. If you have a Jewish bookstore in your area, you can go there and buy one. Prices will vary, of course. The mezuzah is composed of two parts: the klaf (or scroll with the Shema, etc.) and the case itself (which can be of various sizes, materials, designs, etc.). The klaf is rolled up and placed inside the case (which usually has a back that unscrews or unfastens). If you want a kosher klaf (i.e., handwritten by a sofer [scribe] according to the laws of soferut), that will be expensive, and you will need to ask for one specifically. Be sure to get an attestation of authenticity that the klaf is indeed 100% kosher certified before purchasing, since unfortunately there are people out there who will sell you a possul klaf (or even a photocopy!) for an exorbitant price. Ask if the klaf is STAM certified. As for the case, you can buy something simple and inexpensive, or something with detailed artwork, precious gems, etc., which is expensive. If you don't have a Jewish bookstore in your area, you can order mezuzot online, but use the same guidelines mentioned. If you friend is not an orthodox Jew, then you can substitute a klaf copy for the kosher klaf to same you some shekels.

I hope that helps!

- John
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...