Hebrew Word Pictures

FAQs. Ask a question here (Public Access Forum)

Hebrew Word Pictures

Postby Pamela » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Shalom,

I was wondering if you could start teachings on the Hebrew letter meaning of important words like shalom.

Shin is tooth-destruction, lamed is a staff-leader, authority, vav is nail-bind, mem is water-chaos. Shalom means the destruction of authority that binds one to chaos. I would like to see the breakdown of other important word like ahava-love, chessed-grace, tikvah-hope and even important bible name like Adam, Noah, Moses, etc.

Todah.
Pamela

Re: Hebrew Word Pictures

Postby admin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Pamela wrote:Shalom,

I was wondering if you could start teachings on the Hebrew letter meaning of important words like shalom.

Shin is tooth-destruction, lamed is a staff-leader, authority, vav is nail-bind, mem is water-chaos. Shalom means the destruction of authority that binds one to chaos. I would like to see the breakdown of other important word like ahava-love, chessed-grace, tikvah-hope and even important bible name like Adam, Noah, Moses, etc.

Todah.

Shalom Pamela. While studying "word pictures" may be interesting, you must remember that the Holy Spirit chose to communicate God's truth using the classical Hebrew (and later Koine Greek) texts (i.e., letters, words and grammar) - NOT using Canaanite cuneiform. Moreover there is no way to mechanically substitute meanings of cuneiform to replace or "translate" the classical Hebrew letters, and there is no established "dictionary" or lexicon of the meaning of the cuneiform themselves to re-translate a Hebrew word to tell a "story" based on the Canaanite script... Indeed there is a danger that you impugn the truth and credibility of the Holy Scriptures by claiming there is a "subtext" that is more genuine, meaningful, true, etc., than the normal historical-grammatical understanding of the Scriptures as understood by God's people for thousands of years. For instance, Moses and Yeshua both spoke messages to the people of Israel, but they did not use word pictures to do so, but spoke in the everyday language of their day. These messages were preserved by God's people to become part of the Holy Scriptures we have today... There are no shortcuts to learning the meaning of the Hebrew (and Greek) texts that have been meticulously passed down to us from our forefathers and foremothers of the faith. That said, there may be some value of learning Canaanite cuneiform, just as there may be some limited value in studying gematria or Bible codes, but you should never base any teaching derived from speculation of an earlier and unknown source text.

Shalom,

John
http://www.hebrew4christians.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Question...